Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Joshua Tree 3 - Jenny 0

You know what's missing in Palm Springs? Children. It's a little odd. No children at the hotel or at Cheeky's where we had brunch the next morning. We wandered around the grounds of the hotel, determined to get something for our $30 spa fee.

Chris was very excited for the bacon flite. Yes, six different slices of bacon: smokehouse, sweet and spicy, jalapeno, hickory, extra thick and wild boar.

Fortified by a great breakfast, we decided to try another hike in Joshua Tree. We went for the High View Nature Trail which promised panoramic views of the Park's western side.


the promised panoramic view

As you might guess, the trail winds up to gain 320 foot in elevation. The generously provided rock stairs are a godsend - to anyone tall enough to step up them. Not so much for me. I fell flat on my face once climbing up a waist-high step. I expected a barefoot teen to pass me anytime as I huffed and puffed my way up.
 

Personally, I appreciated the benches located just after some particularly grueling bits. Although I did get a splinter in my rear. A register at the top allows visitors to share their feelings of achievement and awe.

We took the longer route back since the guidebook claimed it was a more gentle slope. 

All I know is that the loose sandy soil sent me sliding several times to land on my already splintered rear. Damage was mitigated somewhat by the angle of the hill since my feet were so far below that I didn't fall far. Mike also pointed out the advantage of falling on the most generously padded part of my anatomy. After one fall, I broke down, crying  in frustration. As long as Chris just held onto my hand, I could keep my balance and stay on my feet.

We had time for one more short hike before we had to head back to Riverside. I am a glutton for physical punishment. Enticed by the possibility of risque petroglyphs, we went to the Barker Dam Trail. It boasts the only lake in the park, although when we got there it was just a wet spot.


This portion of the park was really different and interesting as huge boulders surrounded us. Rock climbers love this area. I just tried to stay upright.



We drove back to Riverside so that we could enjoy the Festival of Lights at the Mission Inn. The sidewalks were crowded with families gazing at the crazy decorations. It was like the Disneyland parade!

No comments:

Post a Comment