Saturday, November 12, 2011

Long Time Gone

I arrived in DC about 4 in the afternoon on Oct. 28. Bill and Olivia met me in his chick magnet pickup truck. I was dragging a huge suitcase since I was going to be away from home for ten long days, my longest time away from home in many years. Also Chris's first time home alone in the lifetimes of our cats. Would they survive? Would he?

Next Iron Chef: Olivia
When we arrived at Hotel Kuran, Deb put us to work right away making cake pops. You mix baked cake with canned icing to make balls that you freeze. Then you poke a stick in and decorate with melted icing that tastes like paraffin. Fun, if not the most delicious treat.


Next day, all hands on deck to decorate the house and cook for the imminent party. I made brownies and immediately washed the bowl so as not to be tempted (to the chagrin of  the non-allergic around me). Deb made poached salmon and baked brie. She really goes all out for this party: orange and purple lights, bats, ravens, skeletons, spiders everywhere. Even scary guest towels in the bathrooms.

I had to ship my Elizabethan costume with its many petticoats and massive hooped skirt ahead of time since I didn't want to pay Virgin Airlines $25 for an additional suitcase.

I borrowed Debbie's car to drive through the untimely sleet and snow to pick up Mike and Liz. Thank god for GPS. We also picked up some gluten-free vodka so Mike could make me cocktails.

Olivia was not really happy to see Mike in his card sharp duds. She was overjoyed, thrilled, ecstatic. She is his biggest fan, more than even Robin's mom.

Olivia was a natural Draco Malfoy with her white blond hair. But she was Draco from the later books where we learn that he's not all bad. Deb was a swashbuckling pirate. 

Despite the fact that I hate parties (especially ones where I don't know everyone), I had a great time. I enjoyed chatting with Mike and telling Liz (who was a pirate for the evening) all the good stories about Mike growing up.


Mike supplied me with drinks. The third one was straight vodka. He wanted to see if I could tell. I could and he drank it.  
I was not the drunkest person at the party, though. In fact, except for Bill and Liz, I may have be the soberest over 21.

The kids were confined to the basement because of the horrendous weather. Mike and Liz ventured down a few times, against the advice of the parents, and reported that it was like a scene from Lord of the Flies.
The parents stayed far away from their kids and drank wine and chatted and relaxed, pretending for a short time that they were still childless.

No comments:

Post a Comment