Saturday, November 12, 2011

Wednesday: The Big Switch

Deb worked from home on Wednesday and we sat together at the kitchen table and worked on our laptops in companionable semi-silence.

I was trying to load my pictures onto her Shutterfly account and punctuated failed attempts with curses.

Chris was flying in at 8 pm and I was planning to join him at his hotel. The logistics were tough without a car and complicated by the fact that my suitcase qualified
for its own zipcode.
Debbie was kind enough to take me to the hotel in Arlington at great inconvenience to herself.

Mike picked Chris up at the airport and they had tapas for dinner at Jaleo.

I usually get homesick about this time but seeing Chris helped a lot.

On Thursday, I took the hotel shuttle to the Metro and headed into Georgetown on a
mission to take lots of pictures of old buildings.
Another long day of walking and walking. I was looking for interesting textures and was repeatedly attracted to the embellishments on the facades of old buildings.

I headed for the Smithsonian Museum of American Art, yet another site I have never visited. Along the way, I stopped at tiny Renwick Gallery, across the street from the White House and the home of a great arts and crafts collection. Renwick Gallery

How can you resist a crochet covered tricycle? The walls of the Grand Hall upstairs are covered with paintings.


I meandered to the National Museum of Women in Art. It is not a Smithsonian and costs $10. Anywhere else, I wouldn't have blinked but DC has me jaded.  I guess I'm not the only one: aguy was complaining about paying $10 to see just one Frida Kahlo.

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment