Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Fun Things

These are some of the images I've been working on. They are illustrations for a Chinese Mother Goose. Aren't they amazing? I've been cleaning them and coloring them. The first one illustrates a rhyme about selling his fat little boy who, if you buy him, will keep your house safe from burglars. Just look at that little face! I'm getting obsessed with photos from China.


I've also been researching the genealogy of my father's birth family. It is so hard to stop when you find one name and it leads to another and another.
I've been cooking some although Chris's only comment so far has been that I am a tidy cook. It's hard to cook for two people who have different nutitional needs. I wander down the grocery aisles trying to find new options. I made turkey chili and cornbread from scratch yesterday. It's hard work to imbue ground turkey with flavor.

We went to Pleasant Hill's Blues and Brews Festival on Saturday. $40 for as much beer as you want from lots of different breweries.
Not much there for me since I am allergic to beer and it was too hot to stand around in the sun. (Sorry, people who live where it's really hot. Just remember redheads are sensitive.)
Chris stayed longer to listen but I don't think he drank $40 worth of beer.

In the garden, my sunflowers are starting to get baby flowers. The only pumpkin doesn't seem to be growing, still no eggplant or melons and the butt pepper is starting to turn yellow so I don't think it's going to get any bigger. All in all, I'd have to say that the garden hasn't really paid off. But it is fun.

1 comment:

  1. Jenny, I've been sitting here for an hour reading through your blog - love it! We've had tons of tomatoes in our garden but otherwise not much luck. Like you our vines have lots of beautiful flowers but no fruit. Part of our problem...after living here for 10 years the deer have discovered our garden. I always figured the dogs kept them away but this summer they've gotten brave. My neighbor Kim is headed to San Francisco Sunday...wish I could go with and be her tour guide. It has been sooo hot this summer - I miss California!
    Love, Dana

    ReplyDelete