Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Who Knew Oakland Had a Nice Museum?

Seeing a painting by Arthur Mathews at the DeYoung reminded me how much I loved the paintings of that time. So I convinced Chris to go to the Oakland Museum of California on Sunday.

It was closed for a couple of years for extensive rennovation and reopened in April.



It is beautiful, spacious and well-laid out.
Only a limited portion of their Mathews collection was displayed but they have a great collection of craftsman furniture and decor.
There was a lot of modern stuff that didn't really turn me on but it's a very eclectic collection.

The History Museum was even more fun. Vignettes trace the history of California from its first inhabitants, through the gold rush and the WWII internment camps. Lots of cool vehicles from various eras. This was one of my favorites items: spin the wheel to determine your fate. Kinda reminds me of the Oregon Trail game.
It's defintely worth a trip. In fact, we joined since a special Pixar exhibit is opening in a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment