Friday, July 23, 2010

Release the Kraaken - I mean - ladybugs.

I bought some ladybugs to fight the bugs already living the high life in my garden. You are supposed to release them at night because they can't fly then and are more likely to discover the buffet of delicious insects in your yard rather than seeking greener pastures.
You are also supposed to put them in the refrigerator for a half hour before you release them to slow then down. I didn't. As soon as I opened the package, they rushed me. They're cute and all but you can feel each foot of each insect crawling up your arm.
And, speaking of going to crazy lengths to help plants, this is what I had to do to save the catnip for at least a week. Within 5 minutes after I planted it, Al had dug it up and was apparently trying to injest it through his fur.

The rest of the herb garden looks pretty good. I've added chives and coriander, neither of which I've grown before. I can't wait until Mike comes home to use them in cooking. Anyone want some fresh, organic thyme, marjoram, basil, rosemary, tarragon, sage or oregano?

And I finally have my very first pumpkin, after years of trying. I have no hope that it will grow to maturity but it's more success than I've achieved so far. Still only got one zucchini. What's up with that? Usually, they are very prolific.

No comments:

Post a Comment