Monday, March 8, 2010

First Day of the Rest of My Life

This blog is about changing directions and starting over with a clean slate. For 30 years, I have worked in libraries. I worked scheduled hours and was paid a wage that may not have always been what I deserved but was there when expected.

I valued that predictability. My brothers and sister have had their own businesses and I never really wanted to follow in their footsteps because I didn't trust my ability to sell my services on a daily basis or my ability to demand payment for services.

But now, here I am: unemployed? self-employed? independently employed?

This is the first time I haven't had a job since I was 16. The longest I've gone without working was 5 months when I was on maternity and bonding leave when Michael was born - and if you think that was easy, let me correct you!

And, is this the time to be on my own. Millions of people have lost their jobs and I join them willingly? Is this economy going to welcome a new small business especially one that provides non-essential frippery? All I can do is keep expenses low and be very very nice to my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment